Tuesday, December 21, 2010

WHY I LIKE LEFTOVERS

The end of the Core Four is near. The best thing Brian Cashman should do right now is get a veteran, experienced arm locked up and fast. By tomorrow afternoon, or right before Christmas, expect to have official word that Andy Pettitte has retired. At that point, Armageddon will hit this site.

I love Andy Pettitte as a New York Yankee. Not having him there will be a blow to the Yankees rotation, their fans and the team. Let's hope a last minute decision and some convincing from the Core Three and maybe a couple extra bucks gets the guy back to the Bronx for 1 more year.

But if not, then what? The rotation is made up like this:

1. CC Sabathia

2. AJ Burnett
3. Phil Hughes
4. ?
5. ?

Who do you like on the free agent market among the leftovers? How about in the Yankees farm system?

Kevin Millwood- Millwood has had a long career. He's bounced around but overall, he's reliable. He'd also get more wins with the New York Yankees than some of the other teams he's been with in the past. At what price? Tough to say, but I'd roll the dice on this guy.

Justin Duchscherer- not so sure about this guy. He hasn't pitched much and while he was once decent, I think I'd much rather take a shot on an experienced innings eater like Freddy Garcia, even though he's been with injury. Maybe Justin Duchscherer is a 5th starter. Or maybe Ivan Nova takes that spot.

Brad Penny- I never liked the guy. Gets hurt a lot. Hell, he could be a surprise, but I won't bet on this one.

Brandon Webb- I've always loved Webb. At one point in his career, he was among the best. He hasn't pitched in quite a while, and he's been talking to the Rangers and the Cubs, but maybe, just maybe, the Yanks make a late pitch for him. Honestly, if we went for it at a fair contract and he accepted, we check the guy out and maybe we use him as a 3rd starter. At most, Webb's lights out and we look like superstars for giving him a shot. At worst, he's mediocre and he's plugged into the 4th or 5th hole.

I sound like I'm panicking, I'm not, not totally at least. Let's just say I'm concerned. It seems like every year we are trying to fix our rotation. In 2009, we finally did what we needed to do and we won it all. Is it so bad that I want the same thing every year? Come on Cash, It's the holiday season...and without a rotation, baby, it's cold outside.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017