Monday, February 28, 2011

WHY BASEBALL IS TIMELESS

This is not so much a Yankee post as it is a baseball post, although based on the Bill Dickey article we recently posted titled WHY DICKEY PAVED THE WAY, I was approached by a man who loves the game of baseball just as much as I do. And, I’m glad I’m in such good company. His name is George Case III, and his father was George Case, a pro ballplayer for many years and rubbed elbows with some of the greatest players ever. Anyway, if you haven’t seen the website Timeless Baseball, you should. George Case Jr. played for the Washington Senators and Cleveland Indians. He was a 6 time base stealing champ. While he loved baseball, he also loved 8 mm photography. I wanted to post this for all of you because I love the good old days of baseball. Check it out:


Back in 1939, baseball was a real man’s sport. Pitchers throwing 200 pitches an outing, 3 men rotations and players played until they couldn’t play anymore. Pure grit. Luckily for us, Mr. Case documented some of it. Timeless Baseball has a DVD featuring some of Case’s footage from 1939-1946.


There are rare moments like batting practice with Joe DiMaggio and others at Griffith Stadium in Washington.

And, in a recent email exchange with Case’s son George, I found out Mr. Case and Bill Dickey were friends and that friendship stemmed from playing ball against each other for many years. It was a neat piece of history I was not aware of.

So what’s my point? Baseball history. Learn about it, embrace it. People forget why players like Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Reggie Jackson, even Mickey Mantle played baseball in the first place. They watched their favorite players as kids and said “That’s what I want to do when I grow up.” God I love this sport.



Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017