Tuesday, November 29, 2011

WHY REUNITING WITH AUSTIN JACKSON MAKES SENSE

Yes, it's true, I'm coming out of right field here, literally, but hear me out. So, all we've been hearing is that the Yankees are probably going to make this a quiet winter. Read HERE. That coming from Andrew Marchand. To that I say, respect the man (Marchand), but "poo poo" the report. The Yankees will make a move, maybe not a blockbuster move, but a move here and a move there just to get by. Why? Who knows at this point... maybe they're counting their money for Yu Darvish or for when Felix Hernandez becomes a free agent. When does that happen again? 2014? I'll mark my calender.So, say the Yankees decide they aren't going to do much, even with Cuban outfielders with ridiculous performance videos out there on You tube.



That's right, say the Yanks even dismiss the idea of spending big money on a guy like Yoennis Cespedes...an outfielder Well, hear me out. With the Tigers having serious interest in Cespedes, and that making it a competition for he and Austin Jackson (Read the Detroit Free Press HERE) Why not reach out to the Tigers and see about a trade to bring Austin Jackson back?It makes sense, as depressing as it sounds. I know... it sounds like we're giving up, like we're a shell of ourselves, not trying for the big guy, but instead the next, smaller guy, but that's not why I say that. This is all based on if Andrew Marchand is right...this is not what I want to happen.

So again, if Marchand has it right and the Yankees aren't spending this winter, here's my logic, Nick Swisher is back and we already love Brett Gardner and Curtis Granderson. Signing someone like Yoennis Cespedes to big money would only mean rushing him into the lineup and the outfield. But we already have 3 solid guys. Having Austin Jackson there as the 4th guy not only brings speed and talent to the outfield, it fixes the problem and it's a trade so we're still holding onto our money for someone else down the road. Jackson can give the outfielders a day off, he'll still get at bats and not only that, he's a lead-off guy.

I know, I know, clearly this quiet off season has made me insane. Clearly I am going mad. Why would I give up on a potential superstar outfielder for a lesser one? Why? Because if you go by Marchand's report, it actually makes sense and doesn't eliminate the Yankees losing out on a free agent pitcher if we still want to go that rout. We know what Austin Jackson is like, we raised him. Now, after having a few years of major league play under his belt, wouldn't it make sense to bring the lad back to contribute to the Yankees, especially if the Yankees DO decide to try and get a guy like Mark Buehrle or Gio Gonzalez to pitch for us?
(In Photo: Ken Phelps)
Look... Stranger and worse things have happened in Yankeeland Ladies and Gentlemen... Former softball player Ken Phelps was traded from Seattle to the Yankees for a youngster named Jay Buhner and that was a proven disaster. I'm not saying I love this idea...I'm just saying it's smart and easy, especially if the Yankees really aren't going after a big fish. What do you think? Comment.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017