Tuesday, December 27, 2011

WHY JACOBY ELLSBURY COULD BECOME A YANKEE

I’m not sure why, but right before the holiday I was thinking about the collapse of the Boston Red Sox and then that had my mind wandering to Jacoby Ellsbury. No doubt Ellsbury is a talented ballplayer, when healthy and in 2011 he proved true heart for the Red Sox, something they really lacked down the stretch. But it’s wasn’t so much the evil Sox that I was thinking about, instead it was about what happens when Ellsbury becomes a free agent.

I mean, will the timing be right for the Yankees and will they try to snatch him up to help man the outfield in the Bronx? It’s not a terribly unusual question considering it’s been done before with guys like Wade Boggs, Roger Clemens and Johnny Damon. All of those guys came to the Bronx, only to get a World Series Championship ring. Impressive. The point is, if Brian Cashman is counting his money for a rainy day anyway, what’s to say Jacoby Ellsbury wouldn’t be in his future plans with names like Felix Hernandez?

Look, love him or hate him, Ellsbury put together an MVP caliber season and was also named 2011 AL Comeback Player of the Year. Read HERE. Ellsbury's final numbers for 2011:


158 G / .321 AVG / 32 HR / 105 RBI / 39 SB

Look, the facts are clear, Ellsbury's contract with the Red Sox is almost up... and guess what? Who Jacoby Ellsbury's agent? One guess: Yep, Scott Boras. The same agent who represents Mark Teixeira and a ton of other high profile guys. Scott likes to work with the Yankees. You feel me so far?

What’s to say that once Ellsbury hits free agency after the 2014 season is complete, the Yankees won’t try and make him an offer. Or better yet, swoop in like they did with Mark Teixeria or Johnny Damon. How good would you feel again to hear a player like Jacoby Ellsbury at the press conference in a Yankee uniform say “It was clear, the Yankees wanted me more.” I love hearing that from former Red Sox guys, especially if there is talent there.

Clearly this is just a theory of mine and my opinion. It sounds silly now, but I’m not so sure it IS silly. The reality is, anything can happen and Jacoby Ellsbury on the Yankees, can in fact happen. I mean…. I know Johnny Damon was a free agent when he rode out of Boston into the Bronx and Ellsbury is under contract now, but I think for the right price, and the right timing, you just never know. Then again, I could be wrong… and that’s fine too.



--Mikey Blue, BYB Senior Writer
Email: DonnieBaseball2323@gmail.com
Twitter: @MikeyBlu23


Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter
@BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017