Sunday, January 22, 2012

YANKEE RUMORS & BYB: PART 27

Eric Chavez: I have heard absolutely nothing about Eric Chavez getting re-signed with the Yankees, have you? I wonder what the deal is. Chavez is a guy the Yankees should bring back. First off he’s cheap and secondly, we have a guy we can rely on to play third base, pinch hit in late innings, play first base, or just sit around the dugout eating seeds. Bottom line, Chavez is a team player, still a damn good hitter and he’d be valuable to us again in 2012…. And again… I like the price. I would imagine he’s go for about the same as last season… $1.5 million. We shall see.

Raul Ibanez: You can’t deny that Ibanez is underappreciated. He’s a good ballplayer and deserves some credit. He's flew under the radar for years. His agent apparently called the Yankees after Jesus Montero was traded because they knew the Yankees would be needing some DH help. Read HERE. On the surface, I’d try and sign Ibanez cheap. He’s a veteran, but he still contributes quite nicely. I remember him on the Mariners and the Phillies and he did well for them. I know, that was years ago. Well, let’s be honest, we’re looking at old men in Hideki Matsui and Johnny Damon too. What difference does it make at this point? Sure, I'd like the idea of a reunion, but Ibanez isn’t a bad thought at all. That’s all I’m saying.

Gerardo Concepcion: I know, people just asked "Who?" The real baseball peeps know him, he's the 18 year old Cuban lefty the Yankees had a workout with (Read HERE.) They like him, according to Wally Matthews. Read HERE. He's currently a free agent (Read HERE) and the Yankees are among a few others teams interested in this kid. According to Enrigue Rojas at ESPNdeportesLosAngeles.com: Concepcion was "...named rookie of the year for the 2010-11 season in the Cuban Serie Nacional, the country's main amateur league. He went 10-3 with a 3.36 ERA in 21 games, including 16 starts, with Industriales de la Habana."

Cody Ross: I'm throwing this out there because it just dawned on me. Cody Ross is a free agent and had a decent time with the San Francisco Giants. I know the Mets are interested in him (Read HERE) but why wouldn't the Yankees give this guy a look? Ross is an extra outfielder, Like Johnny Damon, Like Andruw Jones, he's 31 years old and if the Yankees are looking for any extra help on their bench / DH / outfield, couldn't Ross fit the mold? Again, just putting it out there. I have not heard one whisper about Ross and the Yankees, but thought I'd bring it up, probably because I like the guy.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and look for the hashtag #BYB. Also, join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017