Saturday, February 4, 2012

WHY I'VE GOT MARIANO RIVERA ON MY MIND

I am going stir crazy! My Giants are a little more than 24 hours away from making history and the wait is killing me! It's the same feeling I get the day before the Yankees are in an elimination game or one game a way from wrapping up a series. I'm sure there are millions of fans who can relate! So to keep my mind off tomorrow's Super Bowl I decided to scan through some of our BYB articles over the last couples months and one of those pieces we wrote back in November was about Mariano's throat surgery and it got me thinking...Is 2012 Mariano Rivera's last year?

Just to recap what Mo has said about his future. Back in late November Rivera was attending a charity event and the 42-year-old was asked about his future and whether 2012 was his last season. Here is how he responded:

"I don't know what will happen,"..."I have one year left (regarding his contract). I might call it over. I will know more in spring training."

Okay, so, of course, the line that stands out is, "I might call it over." If I were a betting man I would put my money on 2012 being Mariano Rivera's last season. I certainly hope I am wrong but I do not think I am, and here are my reasons:


What hasn't Rivera accomplished? He has 5 rings heading into this season. He sits on top of the all time saves mountain and every save he gets this season is just gravy. I can't imagine anyone will ever come close to breaking it. So as far as accomplishments, Mo has achieved them all and then some.

This the last year of Rivera's 2 year deal with the Yankees. I think by letting the Yankees know in the Spring that he is walking away after this season takes away the tension between player-and-ownership and allows both to just focus on winning another ring.

Fans all over the country will be able to say goodbye to Rivera in their own way during the season. Each ball park can give Rivera the praise and thanks he deserves. I think it will be pretty amazing to see the Fenway faithful give Rivera a standing ovation during his last game at Fenway.

Last, by not least, I think Mariano Rivera is the rare athlete who will walk away from his sport on top. In other words, too often we see these great athletes grow old and lose their dominance, yet they continue to play and, quite often, embarrass themselves. Many do not know when to walk away, but I think Rivera does.

I'm sure the Yankees are preparing for Rivera's eventual departure. I mean, we have written a number of articles talking about David Robertson and how he is being groomed to take over the closer role. And we cannot forget about Joba. As we just wrote HERE, Joba is throwing from half mound and feeling good. If this Tommy John surgery goes as well as expected then you can hardly count out Joba from possibly being our next closer. Look, whether its DRob or Joba, it's a good "problem" to have. We certainly know one thing, neither guy will ever be Mariano Rivera. In fact, there will NEVER be another Mariano Rivera. He is a player that only comes around once in a lifetime and, for me, its been an honor and privilege to have been able to watch his entire career!

Be sure to check back with Bleeding Yankee Blue for any developments on Rivera and all your Yankees!

--Mikey Blue, BYB Senior Writer
Email: DonnieBaseball2323@gmail.com
Twitter: @MikeyBlu23


Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter
@BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017