Sunday, April 15, 2012

WHY GIRARDI NEEDS TO SHAKE THE COBWEBS TOO

The beginning of the season looked dicey. There was plenty of over-managing going on and while I’ve never managed a major league ball club, I think it’s safe to say that plenty of us were puzzled by some of Joe Girardi’s moves. But now, maybe... just maybe... Tony Pena hid the Girardi binder somewhere in the clubhouse and he's convinced Joe to use instincts alittle more...do it like managers do, a balance…. dabble in the match-ups but manage like you’d call a ball game as a catcher…plus, allow those instincts to creep in too... despite yesterday's loss, it appears they are.

I don’t hate Joe Girardi, I like him. Sometimes he makes bonehead decisions in my opinion. But he’s the manager, not I. I can scream at the TV all day long and nothing’s going to change. It’s his job, not mine. I believe the brothers Steinbrenner, Brian Cashman and Girardi have an incredible working relationship I have not seen with the New York Yankees in years. I love that actually.

Don’t get me wrong, the comedy act of Billy Martin and George Steinbrenner was pretty amazing because, even as a kid watching, the Yankees used to win, yet it was so dysfunctional. I couldn't believe it. I am thrilled that I watched that Billy and George combination unfold in my lifetime, it was amazing. But, I need to be honest, I almost took it for granted and should have watched it more closely and let it really soak in because I wish sometimes I had more details about those great times. You see, for you kids, Billy Martin was back and forth as the Yankees manager all the time. He was a great manager, and Steinbrenner and he loved each other, but the dynamic was so turbulent, it just didn’t make sense…yet, it worked. Strangely, I miss those days.

But back to Joe Girardi, he will become a great manager one day, and I expect him to be with the Yankees for a long time. Sure, he dabbles in the binder a little too much, but that’s the way he handles it, you need to respect him for being out there.

If we were to use his instincts more, like using David Phelps whether or not a match up is important, then he should do it. When a relief pitcher's hot, you MUST use him, just not to much..again, balance. Instincts and binder info is the perfect formula in my opinion. That being said, don’t forget we won in 2009 and Joe was in charge. Anything can happen and this season, I believe that our rotation, plus our bats and a little knowledge from former catchers like Joe Girardi and Tony Pena can really help us win another championship...but instincts...mighty gut feelings need to assist in those decisions on the diamond as well... I truly believe that.

ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017