Wednesday, September 5, 2012

PINIELLA & SINGLETON ARE ONTO SOMETHING...

Below is an actual conversation between Singleton and Piniella, I added dialog with from The Most Interesting Man in the World because that's how my demented mind works... more on that in a moment...

Ken Singleton:  "As great as the Yankees looked early in the season hitting a lot of home runs, now they've hit a rough spot. But, we all know that they're not this bad. So I think there's a hot streak coming, I don't know when...it might start tonight, it might start tomorrow. It may be the day after that but there's a hot streak left in this season."

Lou Piniella: "I agree with you Kenny."

The Most Interesting Man in the World: "How about they just believe in themselves...like me."

OK, so the conversation above is from last night's game... the bottom of the 6th inning... Cody Eppley was pitching. Yes, I added The Most Interesting man in the World's line...humor me.
 I was half watching last night because, like always, I'm doing a million things, yet still trying to watch the game, plus, I'm not "in love" with my team right now.  I wasn't watching at that moment, but I heard Kenny and Lou talking and I had the most incredible visual of Ken Singleton and Lou Piniella with the Most Interesting Man in the World in a dark smoky piano bar late at night, drinking Dos Equis, having the conversation above.

The reality was, they weren't there at all, they were instead calling the Yankee game and as sober as can be. The worst part was this...I subscribe to what they are saying.  I really do believe the Yankees can climb out of this funk and it's not a silly statement at all. Ken and Lou may be just calling Yankee games, but they are smart dudes and they have a ton of stories and simple ideas and experience that make perfect sense to any Yankee fan that needs a boost watching their team crap the bed.


Kenny and Lou have been around the block. Hell, Kenny Singleton would have you believe that he played with Paul Blair for years with the Orioles.  Truth is, he only played 2 years with him, but that doesn't matter. What matters is Kenny knows the game, and so does Lou Piniella.

I loved Sweet Lou, as a player, as a manager and while I picture them having a couple of drinks with the Most Interesting Man in the World, they aren't at all, but they are speaking gospel to my ears. The reality is, Yankee fans know this losing streak isn't the end, but lately, when the Yanks lose a game, or don't score a run, we always seem to feel like the world is ending. Why because we're better than this.

Trust me, this isn't the end of the world.  This is a dry spell, a rough patch, a bad spot, a lousy run....it's not October, it's September...we can do this, we just need to believe...we just need to have confidence, like the Most Interesting Man in the World does in the Dos Equis ads.

The last few days I've been talking about "moments".  I've seen it happen time and time again over the years. In Little League, in high school ball and definitely in the pros. Something always happens that triggers a team rally and team run. A "moment" breaks a tough losing streak and suddenly, everything changes.
It could have been Russell Martin's heart filled sprint to first base the other night to score an RBI and beat out an infield single.  It could be Joe Girardi getting ejected when Chris Dickerson struck out last night.  The bottom line, the Yankees need something, anything to get going. But it's more than that...the Yankees need to recognize it and understand that "it's time" to turn it around.  If they don't, they're toast.

Bottom line, we all know The Yankees are capable.  We all know the Yankees just aren't playing like the Yankees.   Can it change? It can, but without that moment, without that confidence... forget it.

Look, the next several games are crucial. The Yankees will play the Orioles, the Red Sox and the Rays again.  This is the American League East, these are the teams the Yankees MUST beat, so let's GO already!

Finally... I'll leave you with this, more actual conversation between Ken Singleton and Lou Piniella...ending with The Most Interesting Man in the World:

Lou Piniella: "And you don't have to win every day. Win 6 or 7 out of 10. Stop the bleeding."
Ken Singleton: "Get back to winning the series."

The Most Interesting Man in the world: "How about they just win a game?"

Right now, they're not only the most Interesting MEN in the World, they're the Smartest Men in Yankeeland...

Trust me... we need to bring alittle humor to this Yankee situation right now... if Bleeding Yankee Blue keeps writing articles about disappointment and aggravation, I'm not too sure I can go on like that!

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017