Sunday, December 23, 2012

REFLECTING ON SOME GREAT BASEBALL QUOTES

 

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." 


That's a quote from Rogers Hornsby, who speaks the truth, at least for me. I’m missing baseball right now and I know I am not alone, but man oh man... winter seems to take too long.  As I sit here and think about this quote I realize two things. One, winter takes even longer to show up here in Arizona and when it does it happens too quickly. It goes from warm one day, to frost warnings the next. It also makes the winter seem longer. Second, since I have so much time to think about baseball….I realized that I have too many “favorite” quotes. Check out some of these, enjoy this like I did!

“Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. 
The trees are greener.”
He added so much color to the game. I don’t know what else to say…he liked the finer things in life to go with all of the accolades. I guess the saying “work hard, play harder” really applies here.

"I'm very proud of my area around the plate. I don't want anyone messing with my dirt." 
Jorge Posada

 I loved how gritty Jorge was, and I miss that. Jorge called a good game and he was so proud of his role and he was strong. He never wavered and he gave us his best. He was a warrior, and he defended his team and home plate honorably. I don’t like people messing with my dirt either. I guess I can relate to Jorge as well as appreciate him.

"I get the ball, I throw the ball and then I take a shower." 
Talk about keeping it simple. That’s about as simple as it gets. The thing I have always loved about Mo is that he is so humble and he holds himself to high standards. He knows what he needs to do and he trusts his skills. Sometimes people over think things, including myself. He makes it look simple even though it isn’t and he is inspiring.

“Never let the fear of striking out get in your way.”

Babe Ruth was a great player, and his quote is also good advice for ball players and baseball enthusiasts alike. Life is too short to play it safe or wonder “what if” years later. With big risks can also come great rewards.


“There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best.”


 I love this quote because I believe that whether baseball players like it or not they are role models. Kids everywhere watch these guys on TV or when they go to the ballparks. Who doesn’t want their favorite player to acknowledge them? I’m an adult and I still want that. It’s a special moment that you remember forever. Joe understood how important first impressions were both on and off the field.

"Baseball is 90-percent mental. The other half is physical." 

Who doesn’t love a good Yogi-ism? If baseball was easy we would all be doing it instead of watching it. Sometimes our guys just try too hard and over think it. Or, sometimes they just try to make the play without having any strategy. There is a fine balance in baseball, and in life.

“You play the game to win the game and not worry about what’s on the back of the 
baseball card at the end of the year.”
The stats mean more when you win, right? I miss the warrior. He has such a love for the game. It is contagious.

 "I am dead set against free agency. It can ruin baseball." 
George Steinbrenner

This one just makes me laugh….think about it!! Are you laughing yet?

So I am still sitting here staring out my window thinking about all of these great moments that happened between the long off season. They say Spring  “will be here before you know it”…another quote but this one is more cliché. I am sure Spring is out there somewhere, but I wish it would hurry up and get here!! 

Happy Sunday everyone.  




--Jeana Bellezza, BYB Writer and Editor
Twitter: @NyPrincessJ



Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017