Sunday, December 16, 2012

SHOULD VERNON WELLS GO TO THE YANKEES?

I'm a pretty level headed guy. When it comes to my Yankees, I get the way baseball works, how teams work and how the business of the game has become bigger than all of us.  I also hate hearing all about "who" the Yankees discussed or "should have signed" after the fact.  When I read it, emotions run through fast. I get annoyed at the publisher and aggravated that the Yankees didn't make the move. I know, it's silly, but that's just me.
I read that the Yankees spoke of Vernon Wells to the Angels at the Winter Meetings and the possibility of a trade, read HERE. Now it's gaining steam. It annoys me that we are finding out about it now and not then, but I guess that's the genius of Brian Cashman... he's stealth like Solid Snake sometimes.
The reality is, the Yankees have done really nothing this winter, so any "new" name is a name to get attached to. Right now, Vernon Wells is the flavor of the week... or weekend and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure how Wells fits into the Yankees "Puzzle of Cheapness."
I know the Angels just signed Josh Hamilton "big" in Los Angeles, so they were willing to unload an outfielder.  It was reported that Mark Trumbo or Kendrys Morales were the guys they were thinking of trading although the Angels insist Trumbo isn't going anywhere (read HERE) and to tell you the truth, they'd be smart to say that. But I have never believed in the "untouchable" player. Team change their minds all the time when they see something better dangling on the other side. Besides, the idea of Mark Trumbo in our outfield sounds great to me.
He's 26, he's a home run hitter and he would work out just fine in our outfield allowing a guy like Ichiro Suzuki a chance to still play every day and give the other guys in the outfield a rest throughout the season.  But I'll tell you, while I appreciate the way Vernon Wells plays the game, I don't really know if we need a less agile outfielder than Ichiro playing right field for the New York Yankees... plus, the guy's 34.
Didn't we sign enough old guys this season? Don't we still need to sign 40 year old Raul Ibanez too? My point is, I'm not sure a trade for Wells is the smartest idea we've ever had, you know what I mean?

Now look, I'm open minded. If Cashman can get creative and can figure out a good fit for the Yankees without giving away good young ball players, I am all in, but I have to tell you, I'm just not sure about Vernon Wells...not at this point in his career at least.
And while we're on the subject, what the hell ever happened to Scott Hairston? Wasn't he on the radar not too long ago? What do the Yankees do that get them sidetracked and not signing guys we believe can fit? That seemed to be the problem at the winter meetings... that, and lack of funds.

Vernon Wells, or any new names the Yanks are attached to in the offseason is exciting, but let's all calm down and really think about what fits our needs. That means let's think about money, age and talent... that's how we need to re-program right now... clearly the Yankees are.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017