Sunday, January 13, 2013

HANK AARON IS MY HOME RUN KING

Great journalism and a great nugget by Ken Davidoff of the New York Post.  He did something no one else did.  Instead of continuing to bang the drum of "who" did "what" and "when" and "how" when it comes to the PEDs issue in the modern day, he instead went "old school", talking to former Atlanta Braves General Manager John Schuerholz about Hank Aaron being the true home run king.  The full piece is HERE, but this is a great little nugget from the interview... the meat if you will:


John Schuerholz: "Listen. If you were in Atlanta and you worked for our organization, you would feel the same way. He’s without dispute, people in baseball would look at him as the guy they say is the quote-unquote real home run champion. There’s no questions about how he hit his home runs."

Ken Davidoff: "But he admitted to using amphetamines. He used illegal PEDs, just like Bonds did."

John Schuerholz:  "I’m not going to make a big deal out of this. He is for us the real home run champion. It’s our view. He’s our home run king. It’s our opinion. And we honor him for that. And I’m not going to stop saying it about him."
As a baseball fan, from the outside looking in, it's always been my own personal opinion that Hank Aaron is the all time home run king. I've said it here, in fact, I even went back in my archives to find when and where I wrote that.  It was in WHY THERE'S A PLAN FOR ALEX RODRIGUEZ  when I wrote: "The all time leader is Barry Bonds with 762.  Personally, I am still of fan of Hank Aaron as my all-time home run leader (755) because he did it against all odds and beat a beloved New York Yankees home run leader in Babe Ruth, but not only that, he battled death threats and did it all with one thing in mind…he believed in himself."

Is it fair? No.  It's really not, but call me a purist, what can I say.  This whole PEDs thing is a mess.  Barry Bonds was a truly talented baseball player, and yes, again, we don't know "who" did "what" and "how" and "when", but there was something very special for me personally watching Hank crank his homers when I was a kid compared to when the media got it's hooks into Bonds right around him hitting 762.  Yeah sure, it's a personal thing for me.

Kudos to Davidoff, great nugget.  Enjoy your Sunday everyone.





Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017