Sunday, January 27, 2013

WATCHA WANNA SEE ON YOUR GREEN SCREEN?

Thinking about the upcoming season gets me pumped up for the sights and sounds of the ballpark.  And watching the television coverage in HD when I can’t get to the game at the stadium makes me think about what we, as fans, want to see and should see from our cozy seats at home.  The director makes that call, but with all of the shots of beautiful women, adorable kids, and face painted idiots, do we really need that kind of coverage?  Then, those shots are played again, and again on ESPN and they take away from the real coverage- the thrill of the game.  So as the announcers replay the highlights of the day, I ask you, what do you want to see on your green screen this season?


My green screen would look like this:  I would see Phil Hughes strike out 15 to 20 a game!  My 15-year-old son says as I write this, “now Mom, that’s just a bit far-fetched, don’t you think?”  I say no.  We pay him to strike hitters out, not to be a drama-queen on the mound.  The side stories and booing of fans take away from the game and if Phil and the rest of the pitching staff can do their job, there would be no time for the director to veer off to the ridiculous fans or for Sterling to tell another story about why CC is not at his best today or why David Robertson isn’t ready for the task.  On the green screen, behind Bob Lorenz, should be a victorious Hughes who rocked the house that night!  I want to see Hughes’ concentration, his focus, his drive.


I want to see Jeter’s movement to the ball and Teixeira’s stretch for the out.  I want the director to catch my thoughts- to cover the game I want to see, but at the same time, I want the Yankees to perform the way I visualize them to perform my head. 

As a coach for my son’s little league team several years ago, my motto was “everybody hits!”  And I want to see that.  I want to see real, old time slugging.  I want to hear the crack of the bat as Youkilis drives the ball deep.  I want feel the breeze as Grandy slides into home.

The shots should be vivid, the shots should keep the game moving like they do in my head.  Different angles, richer, more interesting shots, behind the scenes audio and chants from the Yankee dugout.  They are all there, but unfortunately they get lost in the coverage, in the same boring shots and in the babbling banter in the press box.


Now I am not suggesting that we go all Jay-Z NBA 2K13, where “Jay-Z's role represents a unique fusion of basketball, music, art and entertainment, and illustrates the evolution of 'NBA 2K' into something much bigger than simply the best basketball video game series ever made," according to an article in the Hollywood Report (HERE), but I am saying that my green screen has more creativity.  It fuses the entire fan experience- the explosive energy of the being there. 

So as we enter spring training and our Yankees work hard to hit more, pitch better, and excite the fans at the ballpark, I am looking for more at home too.  I want more from the coverage, more from the highlights and more creative angles and authentic audio!  No nonsense, just game play.  Bring it on! What’s on your green screen this season?



--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Opinion Columnist
Twitter: @suzieprof




Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017