Saturday, February 23, 2013

WISH STEVE GARVEY WELL

When I was a kid, my dad took my to Yankee Stadium to watch the 1981 World Series.  It was Game 1 and I still remember the marijuana smell in the right field Mezzanine section where we sat. It was the Yankees vs. Dodgers and I just remember there was an anger in the air.  Yankee fans wanted to win it big time.

I remember 2 names, Ron Cey and Steve Garvey.  They were Gods in Los Angeles at the time and I always appreciated their ability to play the game as a fan.  Garvey had a great career, a 10 time all star and was a 1974 MVP in the National League.

Now comes word he's battling prostate cancer. According to ESPN.com, HERE:

"Steve Garvey underwent surgery for prostate cancer in October, the former National League MVP said Friday.

'This past fall, I was thrown a nasty curve and battled prostate cancer,' Garvey said in a statement. 'I decided on a radical prostectomy operation at UCLA and, through God's grace, it went well. I will continue to monitor my progress, but will now dedicate a significant amount of time and resources to prostate awareness.'"

I personally know many people that have gone through prostate cancer and the surgery and it's a scary thing.  Say what you will about baseball and the "enemy" and battling teams to win it all.  Cancer is scary as hell. Garvey's a human being and he's fighting for his life... say a prayer, that's all I'm saying.

Get well soon Steve.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017