Tuesday, March 18, 2014

RUSSELL MARTIN SOUNDS LIKE ONE PATHETIC LOSER


You know why I applaud true athletes like Jorge Posada or CC Sabathia, Cal Ripken or Robin Yount? I'll tell you why... because they respected the game and it's players and played as hard as they could (or can) every single day they're out there.  They also don't talk out of school.  What I mean is, they don't bitch and moan about what could have or should have happened.  They know they didn't their best out there if the other guy won and they tip their cap and move on.  Baseball is about being competitive and no one is going to hand you a championship... you're going to have to earn it.


I was in the middle writing a piece about our old friend Russell Martin.  You remember Russell, right? Russell didn't want to stay in New York and it's because the Yankees didn't want to pay him what he thought he was worth. The Yankees are entitled to make whatever offer they want.  Russell is allowed to stay or go. That's why it's called a business.  Russell felt like he was disrespected by Yankee Brass and at the time, I agreed with him to an extent.  But something never sat right with me about Russell Martin. Russell likes to talk out of turn and does it often. Now, he's probably damaged his rep with alot of fans in New York. I'm one of them. Don't know what I mean? Let me try and thread this for you...

Earlier today I read CBS Sports (New York Post had the story first), who had this headline: Russell Martin: Letting Me Walk, Signing McCann Was ‘Expensive Mistake’ Instantly I was drawn in, I read it and became pissed off.  Seriously Russell, who do you think you are? Joe DiMaggio

I received this note from a BYB reader and friend, James Stevens and this is what he wrote:


Thank God for the readers. And I'm flattered that you guys want to hear our opinion so often here at BYB. That means were doing something right and we appreciate it. More on my opinion in a moment...


Here's what CBS Sports had from Martin and his big mouth. Russell said of the Yankees signing McCann: 

“It becomes an expensive mistake, no question... They can’t turn back the clock. They went and got a good guy who, offensively, puts up better numbers than I have and so (it) costs a lot of money. I love McCann. 


They got a good one. Personally, I thought it was a mistake... There are no hard feelings. I definitely didn’t feel like it was in the general manager’s hands at that point. I always believed Cashman and (assistant GM Billy) Eppler and the coaching staff did want me back. I had some presence and a good impact on the team... But the money doesn’t come from them, and I felt at the time, they had different priorities and I wasn’t at the top of the list.”


You're right, you were NOT a top priority. Let me break this down simply so even Russell can understand it; At the time, the Steinbrenners were trying to do the right thing, deciding what type of personnel they would need moving forward to win a championship. Pitching is a priority. Plus, they saw a free agent catcher named Brian McCann that they needed to get. But more importantly, after they failed to make the playoffs last year, it was a must.  Secondly, Brian Cashman did want you back, many of us did, but one thing that always bothered me was Cash calling Russell Martin "Munson-like".


I mean sure, we all bought into it, but we threw it around like it came out of the bible and Martin was the next logical choice. He wasn't, but it was a sexy headline. No. To ME... Posada was "Munson-like" and it never sat well with me that they just passed over Jorge like that.  So, that's another strike against Martin. Clearly he's throwing that around like he earned it, even though he didn't.


Now onto the part where Martin has "no hard feelings."  Well Russell, you do, because if you didn't, we wouldn't be reading this and you wouldn't be on the Pirates.  Get over yourself. You're a good catcher defensively, but great catchers have an average too and hitting .211 with the Yanks and .226 with the Pirates doesn't exactly light it up, you know what I mean? Thurman's average never dipped below .251 and was a lifetime .292 hitter... as a catcher.  McCann hit .256 last season. Oh... and Jorge? Well, lifetime was .273 but even in his last season he hit .235. The point is Russell... the Yankees didn't make an expensive mistake, they took a chance on a great catcher who has mad respect for the game, doesn't talk out of turn and definitely is an upgrade from you.  Not only that, good catchers cost more money than mediocre ones. You see what I did there?

Anyone who talks trash and then suggests they're not angry is clearly jealous of the fact that the Yankees passed on them... get over yourself and enjoy Pittsburgh.

We've always rooted for you here at BYB... but after your ridiculous comments, the tide will most definitely change... but no hard feelings...

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017