Thursday, April 17, 2014

HERE COMES McCANN THE YANKEE


I remember the night so clearly. The 2013 season had just concluded and I watched as the Boston Red Sox celebrated their 3rd World Championship in a decade. I slouched in a booth at a bar a few blocks away from my apartment here in New York City and felt awful. It wasn’t because the Sox were Champions, it was because they seemed to have something the Yankees just didn’t anymore, namely leaders.


I was at Mariano Rivera's final game at Yankee Stadium. I, like so many other grown men, got teary eyed when his brothers in arms Derek Jeter and Andy Pettitte lifted Mo from the game. It wasn’t only watching the greatest closer of ALL-TIME walk away; it was also knowing that these three players would soon all be gone. For me it was realizing  that everything would soon be very different. Jeter had missed the lion share of the season and although I knew he would return in 2014, something seemed to leave him that night. The bond that the Core 4 shared was more than the titles and records, it was their heart, fire and leadership. Derek, as great as he is, had been a part of a great band and would now be releasing his solo album. We all trust it will be a great record, but we all know in our hearts that even Paul McCartney was just better when John, George and Ringo were around. They brought out the best in each other.


This year we all hope that Jeter remains healthy. We pray to the St. Babe, St. Lou, St. Joe and St. Mickey that they’ll bless these Yankees and let The Captain go out with one more ring…but then what? What happens next? Who will carry the flag forward? I have always said that with Derek Jeter’s retirement goes my youth. I am, and will always be, a big kid, but Jeet and I are roughly the same age. When he goes I will feel it a bit more than when Paulie, Tino and Coney hung ‘em up. So naturally the BIG question I had on that lousy night in late October was once the Core 4 is no more, who will be the new face of the New York Yankees? Luckily I got my answer relatively quickly.


Brian McCann WILL be the heart that beats loudest in the Bronx. I am absolutely convinced of it. How can I be so sure? It’s just a gut feeling. McCann has that “thing”. Mattingly, O’Neill, Tino, Jorge, Mo and Andy had it. And most importantly Derek Jeter still has it. They play the Yankee Way. They all bought into Mr. Steinbrenner’s “Win EVERY year” mentality. And if he were alive today I know The Boss would be a McCann fan.

This season Brian started slow with the bat , but then you could see him flip the switch. He was losing some hits in the teeth of the shift, but he was hitting the ball with authority. You could see him starting to heat up. The 2 dingers he hit last Sunday represent the type of player McCann will be. The rotation has shown that they might be all they were advertised to be. Brian reportedly had one on one meals with his new pitchers every morning of Spring Training. You can see he strives to know every nuance of their games. He takes their performance on the bump as his responsibility. That type of work ethic isn’t something you see everyday. It’s Old School.


Make no mistake this is Derek Jeter’s team. And it will be up until the last out of the last game he plays in Yankee pinstripes, but you can see McCann watching Jeter. You can see him asking him questions. You can see Brian showing us all that the club will be in good hands. He will keep the beat going. He will preserve the tradition that the Core 4 worked so hard to bring to the Bronx.


It’s true when Derek Jeter is gone the Yankees will feel like a very different team. But I feel good that Brian McCann is now here in New York. I think he will help the transition from the Core 4 Yankees to the Bronx Bombers of tomorrow. True leaders are a rare breed, but take heart Yankee faithful. It looks like another great one will stand guard in the House That Jeter Built for years to come.

** Seeing as I referenced the Beatles and it's Tax Week...Here are the Boys from Liverpool **


Thanks for reading.



--Mike O'Hara, MLB Fan Cave Host, Season 1
   Twitter: @mikeyoh21

"Paulie was always my favorite player."


 

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017