Tuesday, September 23, 2014

AN OPEN LETTER TO DEREK JETER

via


To the Captain / the Shortstop / Mr. November / Derek Jeter,

It’s funny. You know when you’re the type of person who always has something to say. Then, when you need to say it, you can't find the words?  At a time like this, there are so many things I'd like to say, but I'm having trouble trying to pick. In the end, I realized I’m left with only two words: Thank you.


You never know when you’re making a memory and I am so lucky to have 
so many amazing ones just from watching you step up to the plate or onto the field wearing the epic and classy number 2.  Yankee fans are so lucky to have so many amazing memories to help us remember our leader, our captain.  "Knowing" people like you, who understand class, being humble, and teaching us all to believe, and follow our dreams, is incredibly rare and I appreciate you so much because the truth is that you have made being a Yankee fan the best of times!

When I think back on every season that you wore the pinstripes, I can't help but smile. There is no way for me to remember everything, but I remember feeling like a part of history in all you did, and for that, I will forever be grateful. Your energy and passion inspire me in ways I never thought possible.


As your time as an active Yankee player comes to a close, I find myself trying to remember all of those moments; That dive into the stands, or, your famous bat swing...so outstanding.


How about that jump throw? How about that iconic flip?  I could go on and on because there are so many plays that put you ahead of the rest.  

I've been thinking a lot lately about how we can't always live in the moment because moments pass, but with moments involving you Derek, we can't help wanting to go back and relive them over and over again. I find myself constantly thinking about them, remembering how I felt when something big happened, and as more time passes, I know that will continue.  

You know, it's true. You NEED to be romantic about baseball, and you have made baseball a love that began when I was a child and it's followed me throughout my life. 

So thank you for letting me be a part of something so special and so meaningful.  Thank you for never giving up on your dream. I know you and I have never had a conversation, so you might not expect me to say this, but I have learned a lot from you.  First, I learned that being a Yankee fan is way more fun than being any other kind of fan.  But more importantly, I learned that it is always important to let your faith in yourself and in your dreams be bigger than all of your fears.  Thank you so much for that.

So there you have it. You have made Yankee baseball more amazing than I ever thought possible. This is what it feels like to have a role model, a leader and a Captain...

Thank you Derek... for absolutely everything.




 --Kate Rossi
BYB reader & huge Yankee fan




You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017