Sunday, March 29, 2015

READING IS POWER. HATE IS NOT


I think that what we have here at Bleeding Yankee Blue is pretty incredible.  We get to write about the Yankees, we get to incorporate family and we, as writers, have become pretty close over the past 4 years. The banter we throw around with our readers, all of you, is pretty great. Many times we agree.  After all, smart fans understand how certain things are handled in the Yankee clubhouse and over all, our opinions are usually common sense and similar. But there are times where we bring you an opinion and a light bulb goes off.  That's when you readers engage us.  Sometimes you love what we say.  Other times, it's not as easy and so, there's a conversation and we hash it out.  Bleeding Yankee Blue readers are the smartest in the world, and so working out the disagreements are usually easy. But there are times when we lose readers.  Not because of what we do... but because sometimes people just can't get past their own opinions.  Don't know what I mean?  Let me break it down for you.


A few days ago I wrote JETER'S BIG MISTAKE.  Now if you know anything about me, you know I like provocative headlines to keep the audience engaged.  9 times out of 10 there's important information in my articles and when you see the full body of work, with the title, it all comes together.  Sadly, a huge part of the reading audience on Friday did NOT read the article, and didn't think it was necessary either I guess. I know this because I was attacked through email for absolutely nothing.


Now, don't get me wrong. I received praise for my piece as well.  After all, what I suggested in my piece was that Jeter's website, the Players' Tribune blew a big chance to educate their audience on the dangers of PED use when they instead allowed David Ortiz to pen a piece about PEDs and his own denial...over and over again.  My thinking was simple, find someone to come clean, be it ARod or even "squeaky clean" Ortiz, and tell us about the dangers. After all, Ortiz acts like the poster boy for being clean... educate us... am I right?  Well, that never happened.  Instead, Ortiz wrote an entire piece denying PED use. Something that I found reckless and offensive. In short, I felt as though Derek Jeter blew it.  He made a mistake, a big one.

I first received this note on Facebook.


OK then. This one is mild, yes, but important to point out, because what I received after was not only shocking, it was borderline nerve racking.  Why? I'll tell you why. I am a writer, but I am also a father and a protector.  I have a family that I take care of, and when I receive scary notes, and trust me... there were worse, it makes me wonder if this writing gig is that important.  Here's one:

Now, in fairness,  I called my mom. This wasn't from her. I'm kidding.

Secondly, I don't get it.  Why?  Why am I an idiot? Because I wrote that Jeter made a mistake? Really? If this guy was a diehard Yankee fan, wouldn't he be praising me for writing that I thought David Ortiz SHOULDN'T have written a denial piece?  I guess he just wanted an Ortiz bash-fest.  Sorry to disappoint. Here's another and this one is closer to offensive than the last:


OK. WOP? Really? Now I know I mention that I'm Italian from time to time, but I'm not sure that was necessary. And yes, another guy who didn't read the article. Brilliant, right?  This is the stupidity that I deal with. Welcome to my world.


Here's the reality ladies and gentlemen;  Derek Jeter is not Jesus Christ.  He has never turned an empty basket into a basket flowing with fish to feed a village.  He was a great New York Yankee and will go down as being the ultimate in recent Yankees history.  He's a role model, even though this guy tells me ballplayers aren't role models.


And guess what else he is... Derek Jeter is not perfect... and that, my friends, is OK.

Now look, my commentary on Derek Jeter making a mistake allowing Ortiz to have an open forum on PED denial was 100% dead on. I'm right. Get over it.  You can hang on the fact that Jeter shouldn't be criticized all you want.  I'm here to tell you that you're way off.


I'm also here to tell you that I have been a supporter of Derek Jeter for years. I have praised his upbringing, his work ethic, his family and I appreciate that my kids can look up to this man.  That's what role models are about.  I can also tell you that even the greatest man can make a mistake.  Derek did this time around.  I stand by that commentary.

What I won't stand for is hate.  I gave you a few examples, but there were more.  I am handling them the way I see fit and to those people who thought you had it all figured out slamming me for your own stupidity, you are now on my radar.  Looking forward to what happens to you next.

To the Bleeding Yankee Blue readers.  There's a reason why my pages were relatively quiet yesterday. I needed to step away from it all for a bit and figure out my strategy.  I also needed to think about my next step.  Well, I put this together and it follows with this announcement... I'm not quitter and I do NOT tolerate bullshit.  I realized yesterday that people trying to knock other people down are usually not doing much with their own life.  Hence, those wonderful, pathetic emails.  Well, I'm not them.  I take care of my family, I work hard, I'm dedicated to my craft.  I like to make people smile, I like to do good things for people and I like to make sure that people know they earned my trust and love.  I also believe in confidence.  I have it, I reek of it, and those losers do not.  In this day and age, where hate is all around, it's nice to know that I won't fall into the trap.  And so... we keep going as a unit here at BYB.

I want to thank you all for being so dedicated to Bleeding Yankee Blue. You are all inspiring and motivate us writers in ways you will never truly know.  I love waking up to present something great for you.  And hey, sometimes we mess up and you tell us, and you know what? You get it. You get we're not perfect, and for that, I'm grateful.   Your support means the world to me personally.  That is why I won't stop being provocative and I won't stop writing pieces telling you exactly how I feel.  All I ask is that you read the God damn article.  Reading is power... not reading and forming an opinion based on a headline... is not only irresponsible... it's downright dangerous.

Be smart... that's the way I love ya!




--Robert Casey, BYB Chief





An Evening With Coach K: General Admission

The Exclusive Coach K 1K Collection at SteinerSports.com
 

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!  Also, don't forget to check out the BYB Hub!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017