Thursday, September 10, 2015

RAIN OUT. SEPTEMBER 10th. 14 YEARS LATER.

(In Photo: September 10, 2001)
I'm not good at this time of year.  In fact, I'm bad.  14 years ago, around this time, I remember talking to my dad on the phone. I called him.  The plan was simple. I got 2 tickets to the Yankee game and because the game was rained out on the 10th, September 11, 2001 we would see Roger Clemens get his 20th win. That's because his start was pushed back because of the rain.

Obviously, there was no baseball that day. The world changed.


I've never been the same. I saw the second plane first hand, watching from my bus seat as the others did and pleading with the bus driver not to go into the tunnel.  He did and my mind went blank, and has 14 years later.  I don't remember a single thing about anything after that. I just remember being at work, and barely how I got there. I didn't understand anything anymore.


Man, I didn't even want to write about 9-11. But I saw the rain, checked the Yankees website and when I saw the game was postponed because of rain, it was like tunnel vision and it all rushed back.

There are good things that came out of 9-11. We started an amazing family and I have amazing kids. I am deeply involved with my community to make things better in my Little League organization.  My wife and I are still crazy about each other. That's the good.  The bad is people's disregard for others. Disrespect is massive right about now everywhere. Anger around the country and mean sports fans make days hard to deal with sometimes.  But as a human being, as an American, I power through this time of year.  I hug my kids every day and I try to deal the best I can.


We need to turn things around as a society.  It doesn't matter about your political siding... what matters is we care about each other.  Remember those lost on 9-11.  Celebrate the lives made since then.  Move forward.  Love each other.

God Bless America.

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!  Also, don't forget to check out the BYB Hub!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017