Tuesday, October 13, 2015

3 RELIEVERS I'D LIKE IN THE BRONX

There's always ways to improve a ball club.  The other day I was looking at some of the relief pitchers that will be available in the off season with free agency. Relievers that could really help the Yankees out next season.  I wanted to share my picks of guys I would try to snatch up before the 2016 season begins... check it out:


Darren O’Day:  O'Day will be a free agent this off-season... just in time to be signed in the Bronx. The past 2 seasons, he's kept that ERA around the 1.60 mark going 1.52 in 2015 and 1.70 in 2014 fro Baltimore.  He's a competitor, a unique pitcher and a team player.


From what I hear around Baltimore, O'Day is a good teammate, has a terrific work ethic and willing to do whatever it takes to get their team a win. He also likes playing for Buck, but is curious what his free agency will bring.  A combination of he, Justin Wilson, Dellin Betances and Andrew Miller would definitely be unstoppable.  I think overall, he's the guy I'd like to pursue.


Tony Sipp:  Sipp's a pretty good pitcher and I hadn't paid close attention to him until these playoffs.  Sipp is a middle reliever and a lefty, something that is always intriguing to me.  While we already have lefty Wilson, I can definitely see batters off balance with a Sipp and Wilson lefty combo and then go with the fire in Betances and Miller.  In 2015 for the Astros he had a 1.99 ERA in 54.1 innings pitched.  Some one to definitely think about.


Tyler Clippard: Clippard is familiar with the Bronx, but didn't get enough time there to develop.  The Yankees let him go in December of 2007 for Jonathan Albaladejo.  It was ridiculous for the Yankees as Albaladejo eventually faded away, and Clippard developed into an important tool in Washington and then in Oakland. 


Now with the Mets, he's found a home with a very competitive team, but will he remain there this off season?  I'm not so sure. Personally, I feel like it all depends on if the Mets win the whole damn thing. Down the stretch with the Mets, he was 4-1 with a 3.06 ERA and 2 saves.  While we have Andrew Miller to close, the idea of throwing Clippard into the mix with Betances and Wilson could prove to be a pretty significant bridge.  But Clippard's a closer and who knows if he'd even do that. We shall see.  If I had to choose between someone like he and O'Day... I think I would personally go with O'Day, based on experience and the variables surrounding Clippard's closer experience. That being said, seeing Clippard in pinstripes could prove to be a lot of fun.


Do you like any of these guys? Do you have a better idea? Let us know... comment.

30% OFF at SteinerSports.com! Use code MOBILE30 through Friday, 10/16 at 11:59 EST.

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!  Also, don't forget to check out the BYB Hub!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017