Saturday, April 23, 2016

PISS & VINEGAR... AND WALDMAN


During my sabbatical from Bleeding Yankee Blue, I really struggled to find anything about the New York Yankees to chime in on. The same issues I had last year with my beloved Bombers are still pretty much there…so why harp on them? We don't do that at BYB, which is why THE YANKEES SUCK! came to light yesterday. An almost "final" piece about how terrible the Yankees have been.  Us harping every day seemed counterproductive. I took time off to get through some stuff, get my legs at being a new dad and get off the grid. Did it work? I don’t know. Being a dad is the best kind of happiness though, so to paraphrase the Assistant Greens keeper at Bushwood Country Club,  



“So I got that goin’ for me…which is nice.” 

And then I heard it and it was time to write again. It cut through my brain like a bolt of lightening! It rang my eardrums like an off tune, broken, rusty piano…complete with a Boston accent. It was WFAN Broadcaster Suzyn Waldman.


I am in the car more than ever these days and am most always tuned into The Fan to catch the Yankee games. Now, John Sterling is an acquired taste there is no doubt there. He is corny and things like “An A BOMB, FROM A ROD!” or “MARK SENDS A TEX MESSAGE!” make my skin crawl…but for some reason his voice reminds me of the good old days in the late 1990’s. And I’ll admit it, “IT IS HIGH! IT’S FAR! IT. IS. GONE!” always makes me smile.


Suzyn Waldman on the other hand bothers me. A voice radio not too appealing to my ears. “RAWGAH CLEMINS IS COMING BAAAACK TO THE BRAWNX!” still gets me nauseous. 


She is ABSOLUTELY Boston’s way of sticking 'the Curse' stuff back in our collective faces. It’s almost like we are being Punk’d (something I know a bit about). It makes my drive nearly unbearable. She offers up the most obvious bile during her time on the mic. She does interviews in the pregame that make you wonder how the hell anyone would agree to sit down with her. In short, she makes an awful game worse in my opinion.  We should send her to Gitmo before they decide to close it. I’m sure her voice will get us all the Intel we need. Am I being over the top? You betcha! But hey, I’ve been away for a bit and this fired me up!

Look, I’m not dropping gems in this post, but in my opinion I’d rather get the game via Morse code than listen to the Play by Play with Suzyn in the booth!

I hope you are all having a great start to your spring!  I know, I know... I'm coming out raging mad!

** Thanks for the headache-inducing wake up call, Suzyn. Now… **



 
--Mike O'Hara Senior "Features" Writer
Twitter: @mikeyoh21





Be Read. Get Known.










 
Thank you for your loyalty to Bleeding Yankee Blue. 
Please shop at the BYB store!  
On Twitter: @BleednYankeeBlu 
On Facebook, LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue!
Don't forget to check out the BYB Hub.  

3 comments:

  1. GREAT ARTICLE… I could not have said it better myself. I am a blind blogger for the greedy pinstripes and listen to most of the games on my phone. Every time she says something with that thick Boston accent, I can't help but think "why the hell did they hire her? Why doesn't one of the Steinbrenner boys sleep with her already and get her out of here?!" Either way, congrats on being a dad and a good first read of the year. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on! Get this. This is MORE stuff of hers in Cooperstown than some players. FIRST scorecard, First pen...yada yada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot on! Get this. This is MORE stuff of hers in Cooperstown than some players. FIRST scorecard, First pen...yada yada.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017