Friday, April 20, 2012

WHY I'M NOT FEELING THE YANKEES THROWBACK GAME


I am a traditionalist. I believe that certain things in life need to be preserved and we shouldn’t always rush to “fix” things and make them better just so we can claim progress. Sometimes we need to think about the way it’s always been and have that “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mentality. My opinion of course…

When it comes to baseball cards for instance, I love the true cardboard of an old card from the 1970’s. The new baseball cards today are a more durable modern product… they seem plastic and yes, I get that, but even Topps was smart to being out there Heritage series of cards…new players, with the old look of the 1960’s and 1970’s… note to Topps… I loved 1975 for some reason, can you get that going for me?
Anyway, not to get off track… but there is a point believe it or not. I love the Yankees tradition and I love that the Yankees have never had their names on their jerseys. I love the class of "just numbers" and those numbers are represented through that player's career. Some players are forgotten, but the truly great ones are always remembered by their number only. The Yankees do this to represent the New York Yankees as a team, no names, just a group of guys that played hard to win. Sure, the uniforms have changed, tighter to the skin, no longer wool and no longer baggie and those silly stirrups are gone too, that’s just a sign of the times.
But, I’m not going to lie, while I love watching old footage of the throwbacks play ball and I love to see the old timers in their uniforms in the hot sun in their uncomfortable wool, that was normal for them then, but not for us... not now. This is 2012, not 1912. My question is this, why make 2 ball clubs uncomfortable for 9 innings for the sake of celebrating 100 years anniversary celebrating Fenway park and baseball progress? That’s pretty ironic isn’t it? That was baseball back in the day. This throwback thing is so weird for me. The Yankees and the Red Sox will be having a day where both teams will wear throwback uniforms during their game today, and you can read about it HERE.
Now, after all the ranting about me being a traditionalist, loving the old stuff and appreciating the “no-name” uniforms of the New York Yankees, you’d think I’d be the last guy to disagree with the Throwback game, but I do. I don’t know what it is, but in this day an age, do we really need to get these athletes dressed up in baggy uniforms for 3 ½ hours just to sell a few extra tickets for Major League Baseball? Are we going to have a moment of silence for all those whose died on the Titanic that day too? After all, if we’re turning back the clock, that happened too. How about the game not be televised…after all, we didn’t have television in 1912. Maybe no announcers for the game? Goodness gracious, what would Suzyn Waldman do? I’m just asking…I’m not mad, I just don’t get it… Is it all really necessary?
Look, I think Jackie Robinson Day is brilliant. I love that every single player wears #42 for a day. That’s incredible to me. I appreciate that pitchers still hit in the National League. While I’ve learned to adjust to the DH in the American League, I would almost consider maybe one day going back to having pitchers hit in the AL, but does a throwback day really prove besides MLB wants to sell extra tickets on a gimmick?
Maybe I’m being grouchy about this, maybe I’m the only one, I just don’t get it. What’s next, the Yankees will put their names on their uniforms for 1 day? How about the Chicago White Sox go back to shorts for their anniversary?
(In Photo: Chet Lemon, 1976)
So what do you think? Do you like the idea of the vintage uniforms on both the Yankees and Red Sox to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Fenway Park today? Tell me what you think…comment.
ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what is wrong or right about the throwback games. I think it's fun to pretend like the game is being played in another time as long as you don't get carried away. For example, I think the uniforms and caps are polyester and not wool. Are they a lot baggier too I don't know. Looks like they kept the dh do I guess you got to pick and choose your battles right. As a hat collector i gotta love the option of having a different on field yankee cap

    ReplyDelete
  2. The uniforms and caps were not wool. Current material. Just made to look just like they did in 1912, but not wool material. GO YANKEES!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017