Sunday, September 14, 2014

ENERGY VS. COMPLACENCY


I wasn't expecting much and to be honest, anytime the Yanks are on ESPN, it takes way too long, it's annoying to listen to the commentators and I just get way too tired.  But, because I still love my team, I take a peak now and then and tonight, I watch more than I thought I would.

The pitching duel between the Yankees and O's was a good one. It actually means alot to me because we are head to head with the first place Orioles, and my thinking was, if we can get a split from this 4 game series, I'll take it. I thought wrong. 


Hiroki Kuroda started and went 7 innings pitched, gave up 6 hits and only 1 run.  Dellin Betances and DRob followed and Houdini was shooting for his 37th save.  Applaud this kid, despite losing it for New York tonight. DRob will get 40 before the season's over.  That's big.


Look, the game was tied at 1 most of the game.  Martin Prado hit a home run in the 2nd inning. Then, in the 9th, Brian McCann put the Yanks ahead.  Many thought it was over then, but even the not-so-smart baseball mind knows the Orioles are believers... they never give up.  They are relentless.  They will keep going when the other teams slow down.  That's why they're in first.  That's why we're not. 


DRob didn't look right tonight. He looked like he was missing his spots. He did with Nelson Cruz and did with the rest. When Kelly Johnson came up with a 2-2 game, I said out loud, "Another former Yankee is about to crush my season." The next pitch, Kelly Johnson walked-off. Orioles win. 


But as I watched DRob walk into the dugout, I wasn't mad.  As a baseball fan, not a Yankees fan... I was proud to see a team full of energy celebrate their win on the field. Call me crazy, but that's how I felt for a moment.  Sure, I am NOT an Orioles fan, I never will be, but much like I've been speaking about energy and passion in this great game... well, I saw it in the Orioles tonight. They looked like they wanted it more.  I know it's unfair to say, but there is something strange that happens with the Yankees and it has all year when it comes to scoring runs. They get "just enough" and look complacent once they do.  I don't know what it is, but I do know this; If I had amnesia and I didn't know the O's from the Yankees, but I needed to pick a winner based on body language... let's just say I'd know who to pick.  The O's are full of excitement... it was evident in this entire 4 game series.

Final: Orioles 3 - Yankees 2

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017